INHERIGEN PAN-ETHNIC CARRIER SCREENING
What is InheriGen Pan-Ethnic Carrier Screening?
Carrier screening for hereditary genetic conditions is an important part of preconception and prenatal care. GenPath’s InheriGen carrier screening options perform carrier testing for multiple conditions at once, at a significantly lower cost than if each of these tests were run separately.
InheriGen Carrier Screening Panel Options
- InheriGen Panel is comprised of 180 hereditary diseases associated with childhood onset conditions, many of which are either lethal or have severe symptoms.
- InheriGen Plus Panel includes carrier screening for cystic fibrosis, spinal muscular atrophy, and fragile X syndrome in addition to the InheriGen panel.
Who Should be Offered InheriGen Pan-Ethnic Carrier Screening?
InheriGen Is For Patients Who:
- Are of reproductive age
- Want the most information about their risks and options prior to and/or during pregnancy
- Belong to a high-risk ethnic group
- Are unsure of their ethnicity or biological background (adoption)
- Have a consanguineous partner
Why Choose InheriGen Carrier Screening?
Although there is no cure for many of the disorders included in these panels, knowing about one’s risk of having a child with a hereditary condition can be useful if you are pregnant or planning a pregnancy.
Family preparation options for couples who find out they are at risk include:
- Medical treatment for disorders associated with symptoms that can be reduced
- Preimplantation genetic diagnosis (PGD)
- Prenatal diagnosis via chorionic villus sampling (CVS) or amniocentesis
- Option of egg/sperm donation
- Option of adoption